Sunday, January 11, 2009

Raveling In It

So this week-end I discovered Ravelry. Wow. It is amazing. It is like the mothership is calling me home. And I don't believe I've seen a bigger timesuck since Facebook. If you haven't been there yet, go now. It is a veritable cornucopia of knitty and crochety goodness. You may never leave. Luckily I have a baby to call me back to reality or I'd still be there, reading sock pattern after sock pattern, imagining them with this yarn or that yarn, almost feeling the lovely sockness on my feet. Of course, like all things internet, it's one more thing to keep from actually knitting (or crocheting or crafting) anything.

I did manage to make serious progress on mom's non-birthday Clapotis. I'm at about the halfway mark. I will need some more yarn, but not for a while yet. My new Valentine's Day deadline is definitely within reach. And I'm working to put some unused craft supplies together for a craft swap and playdate with some fellow mom friends tomorrow. If I'm serious about decluttering, I'll just bring a ton of materials and I'll leave with nothing. But we all know I'm bringing something home. As the pile of clutter I'm sitting amongst is my witness, stuff is my weakness.

In other news, we have discontinued our cable tv. I know. It's crazy. It's wild. I sort of hate it and sort of love it. The main reason we did it was it was just plain way too expensive when most of what we watch is on network tv and/or is available online. But also, I was watching way too much tv, and that's just not the example I want to set for my son. We are using Netflix and are currently watching Smallville (Love it!) but it isn't like I'm watching hour after hour of MSNBC or Animal Planet or Law & Order reruns. I've read a lot and listened to a lot of NPR and basically, I do feel good about the choice. Plus, we'll be saving like a bazillion dollars, and that's good, too.

Chicago is mid-blizzard right now, so I have no good light to take good pictures of the Clapotis. Here's hoping for sun this week as we dig out!

No comments: